A Poetry Competition You Don’t Want to Miss
We are pleased to announce the Camp Bowen Working Group’s 2011 Poetry Competition. This competition is open to British Columbians who meet our requirements. Participation in this exciting competition gives British Columbians an opportunity to express themselves in the form of poetry. It may be of particular interest to attendees of the former Camp Bowen.
You don’t want to miss this exciting event!
For more information, visit: http://cbs.vipbc.org/poetry/
Help Others Participate
We encourage you to place links and promote this competition via your social networks and E-mails. Since the people you tell about this page can apply to become part of the Camp Bowen Working Group’s social network, they can vote for you, even if they don’t submit a piece themselves. In addition, because one of the goals of this competition is to bring the community closer together, the more places people can read about this competition, the better. If you like, let us know if you promote the competition by Getting In Touch with us and we will do our best to put a link to your site or blog on the “Supporters of the Camp Bowen Working Group 2011 Poetry Competition” section of our links page.
If you know of anyone who may be interested in participating, please feel free to pass this competition information along.
By providing a pen name on the online submission form, you have the opportunity to set the name that will show up on your poems when they get published on our website and in any of the fund-raising materials we use them in. You can optionally indicate to us that you would not like your poem published in our fund-raising materials by adding “Non-reproducable” to the end of your title when submitting your poem. Likewise, adding the word “no-book” will let us know that you don’t want your entry featured in our upcoming book. Note that for competition purposes, your poem will be displayed on the poetry section of our website.
Entries are accepted in many formats, including Our Online Submissions Form, Grade 1 English Braille, Grade 2 English Braille, Grade 1 French Braille, regular print and large print.
All participants will be given the chance to have their entries published in the Camp Bowen Working Group’s book that will be available later this year. All participants will receive an electronic edition of the book. Participants will have the opportunity to have their friends and families vote for their poems by having them use our Online Voting System. The top three entries will receive special placement in the book. Poems that feature Bowen Island as a subject will also be considered for special placement in the book.
The competition closes to new entries at 11:59 PM on May 28, 2011!
Voting will begin at midnight on June 1, 2011 and will be open to registered users, including those who have entered into the competition.
To vote for a friend or family member who is in the competition, Register Here before 11:59 PM on June 20, 2011.
Click here to ask a question about or get help with the competition.
One hit of the return/enter key is interpreted as a new line, while two taps of the return/enter key is interpreted as the break between two stanzas.
- You must be either a visually impaired resident of British Columbia, an attendant or staff member of the Bowen Island Summer Camp Program or a family member of a Camp Bowen camper.
You must fall into one of the following age groups:
- Under the age of 12. Note that those under 12 require consent from their legal parent/guardian to participate in the competition. Written consent from their legal parent/guardian can be attached to poems submitted in print, large print or Braille, provided that the note of consent is signed by the legal parent/guardian of the child submitting the poem to which the note of consent is attached. Also note that participants under 12 who wish to submit their poems by using the online submissions form are not allowed to register for an account and must therefore have their parent/legal guardian sign up for an account (in the name of the legal parent/guardian of the child submitting the poem) that must be used to submit the poem. In addition, they must also have consent from their legal parent/guardian to use the online registration form..
- Between the ages of 13 and 18. Note that those between the ages of 13 and 18 require parent/legal guardian consent if they are using the online submissions form to submit their poems or if they wish for the entry to be published. Written consent from their legal parent/guardian can be included with poems submitted in print, large print or Braille, provided that the note of consent is signed by the legal parent/guardian of the child submitting the poem to which the note of consent is attached.
- Age 18 or older
- You may not use hateful, defamatory, harassing, sexist, racist, or otherwise discriminatory language in your submissions. In addition, you may not use any obscene language or swearing in your submissions.
Terms of Participation
By participating in the 2010 Camp Bowen Working Group Poetry Competition, you are agreeing to enter into a legal agreement with the Camp Bowen Working Group. Acceptance of this agreement means that you are agreeing to be bound by the following terms and conditions. You are also stating that you either of legal age to enter into such an agreement, you are at least of 13 years of age and have parent/legal guardian consent to enter into this agreement or you are the parent/legal guardian of and are entering on behalf of a person 12 years of age or under.
- You agree to hold the Camp Bowen Working Group, its directors and partners not liable for any damages resulting from your participation in this competition.
- You understand that this competition has no warranty, either express or implied, to the extent permitted under applicable law.
- You agree to defend the Camp Bowen Working Group, its directors and partners in any allegations resulting from your participation in this competition.
- You agree that you have read and comply with the requirements of this competition as listed under the “Rules” section of this page.
- You agree that all court dealings regarding this competition will be handled in the courts of British Columbia.
- You agree to grant the right to republish your work to the Camp Bowen Working Group so that it may be included in promotional or fund raising materials so long as the Camp Bowen Working Group provides attribution to the author of the work.
- You agree that the work you provide is original and that you own all copyright associated with the work.
- You acknowledge that the Camp Bowen Working Group and its directors retain the sole right to modify the terms of this agreement and that it is your responsibility to make sure that you are in compliance with the latest version of these terms.
Last Updated: January 19, 2011