- Note: This announcement applies to the young adult and adult programs for ages 19+. Child and Youth programs will return in 2017.
- Note: If you haven’t been to Bowen before, check out the following links for additional information:
Spring is here and along with it the beginning of a new camp season at Camp Bowen.
Before we get into information about camp, we’d like to take a moment and address the concern that the Bowen Island Lodge, formerly the Bowen Lodge by the Sea, has been sold. While this is true, there are no plans to change the course of operations under the new leadership. The Camp Bowen project will continue to operate summer camps at the lodge, directed by the Camp Bowen Society for the Visually Impaired.
With that out of the way, we can move onto this year’s plans.
- note: Ministry funding up to and including $200 is available for BC Residents on income assistance.
This year, we are pleased to announce a combined young adult and adult retreat that will happen in August, coordinated by longtime camper Peg Mercer, who has recently joined us as 2016’s Adult Camp Coordinator. Peg is currently canvasing the visually impaired community and would like input on the following:
- The best dates. There are tentative plans for camps from either Tuesday, August 02 to Sunday, August 07 or Monday, August 29 to Friday, September 2. This is the most important question, as we must finalize the dates by May 1, 2016.
- How many nights would you like to stay? 2 nights are $240, 3 nights are $360, 4 nights are $480, and 5 nights are $600. This is based on campers sharing a room with one other person. To get a private room, add $60 to the nightly cost.
- Note that an amount for gratuities for the meals would be added over and above.
- Note: We have a 10 room minimum we must meet in order for the program to be successful.
The cost breakdown is as follows:
|$60.00||Cost per night per shared room|
|$60.00||Cost per night, upgraded to a single room|
|$60.00||Meals per day (plus gratuities)|
|$6.05||Ferry cost roundtrip to the island from the mainland (Disability card holders and companions only)|
|$12.10||Full fair for the ferry’s roundtrip to the island from the mainland.|
If you have any further questions or would like to register, please feel free to contact Peg Mercer, Adult Camp Coordinator, at email@example.com or at +1 (604) 218-3678.
The Camp Bowen Society for the Visually Impaired,
A Chapter of the Canadian Counsel of the Blind